Thomson Tours EPIC Trans Swiss Day 7
Last Day. Albulapass, ofenpass, and Umbrailpass (I’m scared)
At the end of Umbrailpass Scotty tells us if we are feeling good we can keep going to the top of Stelvio. Stelvio is legendary in Italy for cycling. It’s the highest paved pass in all of Europe. It’s an absolute monster. From Bormio it’s like a 25km climb. From where we started it was 16.5 km and only the top of Umbrailpass is easy. I knew this was going to really challenge me and I knew it was going to have to take me about 2 hours or so to get up this thing and I was determined to get past it and climb the final 3 or so km to Stelvio who knows if I’ll ever come back here.
We only had marky riding today and Scotty in the van. Aitor was getting things ready for the next group that arrives tomorrow morning.
Mark takes my mind off things by telling me stories of the greatest technical attacks in all of climbing. I’m suffering. Like I’m okay and Scott is taking the van up and stopping for us every 3km or so in case we need bottles or gels or whatever. Once he has little paper cups of coke we can just take and throw the cup down. I feel like a pro except I’m not feeling like a pro at all because my legs are tired. But I realize I’m mentally tired more than anything. I havent slept great and I’m just tired.
Eventually I make it.. two other guys make it up behind me... one guy doesn’t try to summit Stelvio. I can’t blame him. I almost feel like crying or throwing up or maybe happy. Can’t quite tell. Maybe the hardest thing I’ve done or maybe half Ironman. Either way super hard and a perfect finish. 25km of picture perfect switchbacks down to bormio












Comments
Post a Comment